A licensed Physical Therapist will evaluate each person’s functional capabilities in areas of strength, range of motion, balance, and pain to determine specific individualized needs. Treatment plans and goals will be established to maximize function, reduce pain, and ultimately improve each patient’s quality of life. We utilize a team approach to recovery, and maintain an open rapport with our patients and their physicians on a regular basis.
Our basement-level office, treatment area and gym space are handicapped-accessible by elevator.
Who Can Benefit?
Our focus is on adults and teens with a wide range of conditions.
Commonly addressed problems include:
Do I Need a Prescription from my Doctor?
Patients can directly access physical therapy without a prescription for 10 visits or 30 days from initial treatment. However, many insurance plans will not cover PT services without a physician referral. in that situation, you may be required to pay privately for these services. We therefore recommend that you get a prescription from your provider for PT.
Most insurance plans require a co-pay for each visit.
The total number of treatments authorized is different for each insurance plan.
We recommend that each patient contact their insurance Service Representative prior to the start of therapy, to determine the coverage and co-pay required by your specific plan.
What Should I Bring to my First Visit?
- Prescription for physical therapy
- Medical insurance card
- Photo ID
- X-ray or MRI reports, if available
- Applicable Co-pay
What Type of Treatment Might I Receive?
Physical therapists use a variety of techniques and approaches to achieve treatment goals for mobility and activity.
Examples might include:
- Exercises for strength, flexibility and balance
- Core stabilization exercises
- Manual Therapy
- Electrical Stimulation
- Pain reduction modalities
What Should I Wear?
- Patients need to be able to move easily, and the area being treated may need to be exposed for examination or treatment, so comfortable, loose-fitting clothing works best.
- Shorts are appropriate for knee-related treatments.
- Supportive footwear is needed for balance or walking instruction.
How Long Will Each Session Last?
- Treatment time will vary according to specific treatment plans, but generally sessions last about 45 minutes. Initial evaluations may take up to an hour. Your therapist will be able to discuss your plan in more detail once the evaluation is completed.
How Long Will I Continue With Therapy?
- The total number of visits you receive will depend on your diagnosis, progress, and insurance limits. Your therapist will closely monitor your progress and will keep you and your provider informed of ongoing treatment needs, while working within your specific insurance guidelines.
- Once therapy is completed, some patients may qualify for the Wellness Program. This is a continuation of your therapeutic exercise program, carried out independently within the department during regular operational hours. Insurance does not pay for this service, but there is a nominal monthly fee to participate. If you are a candidate for this program, the rehab staff will discuss this option with you near the completion of your structured rehab.
- You may be given a home exercise program to reinforce your treatment, and you will be educated in techniques to discourage recurring injury and to maintain your renewed function.
Jessica Miller, DPT, Director of Rehab Services
Karen Holdridge, MSPT
Sherry Stevens, P.T.A.
Ronnie Kassel, Secretary
Physical Therapy Department Location
Basement level of Bertrand Chaffee Hospital
Hours of Operation (as of 1/1/2021)
Monday 7am – 5pm
Tuesday 7am – 5pm
Wednesday 7am – 3pm
Thursday 7am – 5pm
Friday 7am – 5pm
Phone: (716) 592-2871 ext. 1262 (Call for more information or to schedule an appointment.)
Fax: (716) 592-8104
Initial Forms for First Appointment
Also if you are being treated for a Back or Neck problem, please download and print the Physical Therapy Back and Neck History Form.
Forms should be completed and brought in at time of initial visit or emailed to email@example.com